Wednesday, March 18, 2009

career change anyone?


this has the potential to be a lenghty post. so, be warned! here we go...


since i was a little little kid, i always thought i wanted to be a lawyer. just like my daddy. took the steps necessary in undergrad to prepare myself for the career. much to my father's dismay majored in what i thought was a "unique" major...psych. pun totally intended, as i majored in psychology and it is far from unique! took the lsat at 23, didn't go as well as i planned. decided not to persue law. maybe later. at the time i was coaching softball for mhs and thinking, maybe i want to get into education, not a teacher though. maybe school counseling? but, i like working so, maybe later.


after undergrad had an awesome job with marriott. as i wasn't in school, took the opportunity of a lifetime and spent 6 fabulous weeks in san fran, working behind the scenes in a huge hotel. woke up one morning and thought, yeah, this is what i want to do. i want to run hotels. took the necessary steps to prepare myself for a job as a hotel manager.


2006 i start as the front office manager for the springhill suites. phone rings off the hook, every... single... night. no sleep for katies, too much work. no privacy for katie...too many phone calls. love my staff. i miss my staff! nikki, taryn, christie, jackie...i heart you girls and miss you dearly! love my boss. love, love, love, my boss. minda, is one of my closest friends. how lucky am i to have a former boss as really one of my best friends. very lucky. anyway, so yeah, work my behind off as the front office manager. six months later, become the assistant general manager. better title, same work...same hours. pace decides he is going to grad school, moving to california. this is it!! we are going to start this awesome adventure in california. new job for katie. right career path maybe?


katie not working in hotels. katie working in retail...hmm. don't get me wrong, i am very very fortunate in the current world to have a job that pays me well, very well. and fortunate to have a job that i like. i don't love this job. i like this job. i have made some great friends, i work with some great people. but, this is not the right career path. not in the least. katie goes back to the drawing board. what does katie want to do?


note, this was not an overnight decision. this is an ongoing battle that has been taking place in my head for about the past, well...4 years.


finally....i know what i want to do!


teach!! katie want's to be an elementary school teacher. call me crazy, but i do. and i am stoked. i haven't figured out all the details. i have found a program that i am highly interested in and seems to offer everything that i need. if everything works out as planned, i will be starting in january 2010. whew. i am excited. best part is, i am not just getting my teaching credential (license) i am actually going back to get my masters! i am thrilled. in only two year short years i will have my masters in education and a teaching credential! i am really hoping that we can make it happen in january. i have some serious prep work to do, lots of tests. but, i can do it. the best part is, because i know this is what i want to do, i am not worried about time constraints. if it doesn't work out in january, i can certainly make it happen next fall.


i am so excited! again, i have a goal! i have something that i can work towards. and most importantly, i am so excited that i get to go back to school!!


yeah for katie for having a new goal, and for (hopefully!) finding the right career path this time! it is funny how the girl who thinks at 3 years old she has her whole life planned out actually really finds out what she wants to do at 26...and after 3 attempts! better late than never, right?


wish me luck!

6 comments:

Ryan and Staci said...

You will be a great teacher! Good luck with your new career change. :)

........... said...

I think you will be an awesome teacher too...I'm really happy for you. Maybe you will still get to coach a little softball on the side as well! Good Luck Katie, I really hope this works out great for you.

Darla said...

That is so great! I wish I knew what I wanted to do...You are so ambitious, I love it!
Good Luck! :)

Lilie said...

Hey Katie, that's awesome! Good luck with everything!

Taryn and Nicole said...

Katie! Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching! It sucks you in and doesn't let go. I love it! Most of the time and even when I don't I think it is because I care too much! You will know what I mean. Make sure that you get in the classroom before you officially decide what grade level and all that good stuff because being there in the classroom is a whole different ball game. I am so excited for you!!!!

Angie said...

Wow girl...send me some of your inspiration please. I still have no clue what I want to do. You will make a wonderful teacher. Good luck!